Australia will indefinitely postpone its test match against Afghanistan this week to prompt the Asian nation to “rethink” its approach to women’s sport, Cricket Tasmania boss Dominic Baker said on Wednesday.
The game against the Afghan men’s team was scheduled for November 27 in Hobart.
“It will be officially postponed indefinitely this week. It will be released in the next few days,” Baker told local radio station Triple M.
“This is about giving the Afghan government direction on what it needs to do to get back to sport.
“It is not acceptable that they do not allow women’s sport. If they want to play competitive men’s sport, especially in the sphere of cricket, they have to rethink what they do with women’s sport. “
Governing body Cricket Australia said this month it would remove the test after media reported that the Asian country’s Taliban leaders would not allow women to play cricket.
A Cricket Australia spokesperson said on Wednesday that no decision had been taken on the game.
Baker said the match could be scheduled later.
“We are not going to cancel it completely,” he said.
The new chairman of the Afghanistan Cricket Board, Azizullah Fazli, told Reuters this month he was determined to promote women’s cricket in the country and that he was optimistic the single test against Australia would go ahead. .
World sport’s governing body, the International Cricket Council (ICC), is expected to discuss the situation of women’s cricket in Afghanistan at its next board meeting in November.
There is further uncertainty over Australia’s schedule for the Ashes during the national summer due to COVID-19 outbreaks in southern states and the reluctance of England players to visit the country due to strict quarantine restrictions.
Baker said Hobart would be ready to step in and organize an ashes test if needed amid doubts Perth will be able to host the fifth and final game.